The Alumni Awards Committee is responsible for establishing and implementing policies and procedures that will
govern the alumni awards program and will include the following responsibilities:
- Administration of the program
- Coordination with University departments, offices and personnel
- Receiving nominations and reviewing nominees’ qualifications
- Selecting award recipients
- Promote the alumni awards program
The following awards are those for which the committee is responsible: the Harold L. Conover Leadership Award, the
Gordon E. Prichard Award for Volunteer Service, the Distinguished Alumnus/a Award and this year we are pleased to
introduce the Outstanding Young Alumnus/a Award.
The Harold L. Conover Leadership Award
Harold L. Conover ’23 was the prime mover in establishing the Alumni Association and became the association’s first
president. He was a member of the University Board of Trustees for many years which he served as secretary. He had
an extended career in state government serving in high level positions requiring distinguished leadership.
Criteria for Award: Awarded to a Rider alumnus/a who exhibits or has exhibited exemplary leadership qualities in a
non-profit organization/s, community agencies, professional organizations, or government service.
The Gordon E. Prichard '63 Award for Volunteer Service (presented since 1967)
Gordon E. Prichard ’63 served as a member of the Board of the Alumni Association following graduation. He was
actively involved in numerous student activities throughout his undergraduate years at Rider. Following his untimely
death while a member of the alumni board the members of the board established this award to honor his
Criteria for Award:Awarded to a Rider alumnus/a who distinguished himself/herself by exceptional volunteer service to
Distinguished Alumnus/a Award (Awarded since 1965)
Criteria for Award: Awarded to a Rider alumnus/a whose successes, exceptional achievements, dedication, and
professionalism bring honor to their alma mater and to themselves.
Outstanding Young Alumnus/a Award (Presented for the first time in 2013)
Criteria for Award: Awarded to a Rider alumnus/a who has completed his/her studies at Rider University within the last
ten years and who has achieved notable success in his/her work, resulting in a positive reflection on the University.
Any member of the Rider University Alumni Association and Rider community is eligible to nominate alumni for these
Eligibility for Awards
- Nominees must be alumni of the University and must be in good standing at the time of graduation.
- Current alumni awards committee members or their immediate family members are not eligible to receive these awards.
- 2/3 majority vote is required for all recipients of the Gordon E. Prichard Award for Volunteer Service.
- Award recipients are expected to be present at the awards ceremony unless awarded posthumously.
- Nominations are for the current year only.
- Alumni can be nominated for more than one award.
Awards recipients are invited to an event during Reunion Weekend in June of each year.
Click here for a full list of past recipients.